Jewish Precepts of Pentecost
A Festival of Names
1. The time of the giving of Torah
2. The Day of First Fruits Numbers 28:26 new wheat crop is brought to the temple and it is the start of the first fruit season. Barley was used for feeding animals (Mishnah Sotah 2:1)
3. Festival of the Harvest: first wheat harvest is brought.
4. Atzeres(Day Of) Assembly, restriction or restraint; Sages refer to this feast in the Mishna and Talmud. (Could that be the caught up ones?)
5. Festival of weeks: the end of the counting of the Omer.
We know it as the day of the Holy Ghost power and the anointing of speaking in tongues on the 120 in the upper room.
Moses was rescued from the NileRiver on the 6th of Sivan the day of Shavuos/ Pentecost.
Night long Torah study custom came from the Midrash “Arise from your sleep! The groom [God] has already arrived. He seeks the bride [Israel] that he may lead her to the chuppah (marriage canopy).
The Waters of Torah: purification from above Numbers 24:6;
John 7:37-38 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Sefardic custom in some communities, the Ketubah (marriage contract) is read. The Ketubah movingly depicts how the groom, God, invites the bride, Israel, to enter into marriage with Him. The marriage is held on the sixth of Sivan, Pentecost.
Ruth was married to Boaz and David was the great Grandson departed on Shavuos and tradition says he was born on that day also.
Boaz had 10 men to witness for the oral law to be observed. Yahushua had 11 disciples to witness his. Read the book of Ruth and see the parallels.
Jewish tradition is to read the book of Ruth on Shavuos and the coming of the Messiah for His bride is taught.
John 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Are you watching for the bridegroom? Do you speak in tongues?
Are You Spirit filled not just Spirit saved?Do you move in the Power of God?
Father give them understanding to seek Your Son and His power.
Hal le lu YAH